How to add a contact?
Why are my friends and contacts who already use Hoccer not listed?
We do not know any phone numbers or E-mail addresses of you or your communications partners. When you send invitations via SMS or E-Mail, this happens outside the scope of our system, so we do not know, store or transmit the phone number or E-Mail address of the people you invite.
How to add a contact:
Choose one of the following options:
Send your invitation via
- or „Nearby“- Mode
or invite a contact per
Invite per SMS & E-Mail
You can send a SMS or E-mail invitation to one or more recipients.
Open the SMS or E-Mail invitation and click the included link. A browser window will open up. Please chose “accept invite” to confirm the invitation. Hoccer will now open up and your newly friended contact is added to your friend’s list.
Invite per Code
One user picks the option “scan”, the other one “generate”. Now you can scan the code to become friends. It is also possible to manually fill in the invitation code.
Add a friend by using the “Nearby” mode
- Activate the “Nearby” mode (please make sure that you and the invitee are located in the vicinity of approx. 100m)
- Open your contact’s user profile (click on avatar image)
- Select „add as friend“
- Confirm the invitation in your Hoccer account
What is “Worldwide”?
Worldwide is made for exchanging data, meeting new people and getting connected to users all around the world – no limtis no boundaries, only the freedom to share whatever you like.
- Meet new people from all around the world
- Get connected and stay in touch
- Instant chat & data exchange
Feel free to share anything you like but show decency and proof that freedom and privacy do not come at the cost of polite manners.
How to use Worldwide
With entering the worldwide mode, your client sends its GPS data (location data) to our server. These are of course encrypted and will be decrypted on the server. Then, you will be randomly connected to other users in worldwide mode for the time being online in worldwide.
During this time, anybody is able to send you text messages and attachments as well as contacting you and all worldwide contacts via the worldwide group chat. Worldwide groups are restricted to up to 10 members each to provide you with the best possible chat experience.
Send a friend’s request to people you like and you wish to stay in contact with (in user profile) or create a permanent group to keep the conversation going on, even with worldwide deactivated again.
Once you activated worldwide, you will stay online for the time indicated in your app settings (see “leave after”). After worldwide is deactivated again, all location data is immediately deleted from our servers.
Settings for Worldwide
- leave after
- Worldwide notifications
In the app’s settings, you can specify how long you would like to stay online and thus, being visible for other worldwide users.
You are able to mute single contacts or groups (iOS: in the belonging profile, Android: in chat) or silence the worldwide group chat (app settings). You will not receive any push notifications while this setting is disabled. However, of course you won’t miss anything as all message will be received when you open your app again.
How to deactivate Worldwide
Hoccer’s latest feature called “Worldwide” allows to communicate with Hoccer users all around the worldwide. As soon as this mode is activated, you are allocated to a certain worldwide group and you are able to start chatting along with your Hoccer fellows.
In case you would like to deactivate this mode, please open and select:
“Hoccer > settings > Worldwide mode > leave after > immediately”.
Now Worldwide will be deactivated as soon as you leave this view. All Worldwide contacts will be removed from your chats except those you communicated with. These contacts can be deleted via the user profile (click on avatar). Please have in mind that you can always block a user (via user profile) in case you do not want to receive messages from a certain contact any longer.
Delete & Remove contacts
Please open the user profile (click on avatar), select “edit” and chose “delete contact”. In a second step you will be asked if you would like to keep the chat history (keep data) or delete everything for good.
Please open the user profile (click on avatar), select “edit” (pencil icon) and chose “delete contact” (trash can icon). Now you have deleted the connection to this contact. To delete the remaining chat history, click the “delete icon” again.
Remove Worldwide contacts
Active Worldwide contacts cannot be removed as long as you are connected with them in this mode. Deactivate Worldwide first to remove these contacts from your chats.
What to do when receiving no push notifications or experiencing great delays?
In case that you do not receive any push notifications or you are experiencing great delays in this regard, we would like to ask you to check the following settings and options:
- Google Play Services are installed and up-to-date
- “Show notification” is activated in your phone’s settings > apps > Hoccer
- For WI-FI usage: The ports 5228-5230 are approved
- Make sure that other apps (i.e. Energy management, App management, firewall etc.) do not influence the App’s or GCM’s performance, if you use apps that optimize battery life, which manage performance of other apps in the background, GCM push notifications can be affected. Please exclude HOCCER from those apps.
Given that all above named-points do not do the trick, please activate “polling” in the app’s settings (Hoccer > settings > polling).
Polling – an alternative to GCM
The “polling” setting should be activated in case
- you are facing troubles receiving push-notifications
- Google Play Services are not installed on your device
- Hoccer is running on a Blackberry
What are push notifications and GCM and how does it work?
Hoccer uses GCM (Google Cloud Messaging) to announce the arrival of a new message by “waking” up your phone via “push”.
While Hoccer is running in foreground, your client is directly connected with the Hoccer server and new messages can be passed through immediately. After five minutes in background, the connection to the server is determined. To now announce the retrieval of a new message, the client needs to “wake up”. This is done by using GCM.
An alternative to GCM: Polling
You can use polling as an alternative or supplementary feature to GCM. Chose an interval between 5 and 15 minutes for contacting the server to find out if new messages are available. In case there are new messages, a notification is then sent to your phone.
Hoccer uses APN (Apple Push Notification Service) to send out push notifications in order to announce new Hoccer messages.
If you do not receive any push notifications or you are experiencing great delays, please check the following settings and options:
- Check your device’s settings > notifications > Hoccer
- “Allow notification” is activate
- Option “Banner” or “Alerts” is chosen
- “Sounds”, “Badge icon” and “show on lock screen” are
- In WI-FI networks: Make sure that the TCP Port 5223 and 443 is not blocked
- Re-start your device
With this setting enabled, all push notifications received won’t neither show the content of the message nor information about its sender:
Where are my contacts?
We neither want to access your address book nor your personal data. That’s why your chat and contact list is empty the first time you open your messenger. Get started and invite some friends to chat!
I cannot send SMS invitations. What can I do?
Please restart your phone and try again.
How do I accept a contact request?
Click on the link given in your invitation mail or SMS. You can also scan or enter your friend’s invitation code to connect. Friends requests by nearby and group acquaintances are signalized in app.
Do I have to submit a phone number at any point?
Nope. We want as little information as possible. Therefore, you neither have to submit your telephone number nor your email address or any other sensitive data.
What is the fingerprint?
The fingerprint is a control sum of your public encryption key. For extra security, you can compare this fingerprint with the fingerprint seen in your contact card on your friend’s device and mark it as verified.
Expert information: The key id is the SHA256 hash of the public key truncated to 8 bytes (16 digits hex).
How do I delete single messages or whole conversations?
Deletion of a single messages
Click two seconds on a message or an attachment and select “delete” in the appearing menu.
Deletion of a conversation
iOS: A whole conversation can be deleted when opening the corresponding chat and clicking on the action button on the upper right. Chose “delete all xxx messages” to delete the whole conversation. Files previously saved to device’s storage remain unaffected.
Android: Delete a conversation by clicking two seconds on the chat to be deleted (in tab “Chats”) and confirm action by clicking “delete”.
How is our messenger financed?
Providing business solutions of our technology gives us the possibility to offer our service for free to all private users.
On which platforms can I use the messenger?
Our app is currently available for iOS7 and iOS8 devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad) on the Apple App Store and for Android smartphones with Android 4.0 or higher on the Google Play Store. Blackberry 10 users are welcome to visit our website and download our apk for free.
Whats about Windows/Blackberry/Symbian support?
Currently our app is available for Android and iOS. Blackberry 10 devices – being able to run Android apps – can install our messenger by downloading the APK from our website.
Windows and Symbian are not yet supported but as we are quite ambitious, there will be a lot to come in the future.
What is “Nearby”?
“Nearby” communication is our spontaneous data sharing feature. No need to connect to unknown peeps: you can interact with all users who reside within a radius up to 100 meters around you and also use the nearby mode. Texts and attachments will be transferred safely – just how you are used to it. Plus: messages and attachments can be sent and received gesture-controlled.
Start Nearby mode
Change to the nearby tab to start the nearby mode. The app will immediately start searching for other users nearby enabling you to start a conversation and spontaneously exchange data with anybody around you also running “nearby”.
Add nearby contacts as friends to stay in contact or create a permanent group from nearby group to stay in touch even when people leave nearby or deactivate the nearby mode.
Nearby mode is deactivated the moment you switch tabs again.
Find more information on nearby in our privacy and security statement.
Is it safe to exchange messages in “Nearby”?
The transfer of all texts, pics, videos or other attachment is secured with our end-to-end encryption.
Please note: When exchanging messages in the “All Nearby”-Group a new user can appear in the group at any time and will be able to receive your messages. Make sure to share confidential content only within a “normal” chat.
How does “Nearby” work?
When you activate nearby mode, your client sends location data to our servers. This data is encrypted during transportation and will be decrypted and stored on the server until you deactivate nearby mode or disconnect. The location data is processed to temporarily connect you with other users close to having also Nearby activated.
In Nearby mode you can participate in conversations without actually being friend with these users. Your location data will be deleted from our servers as soon as you leave nearby mode.
Why is our messenger that safe?
The messenger uses several factors, which combined, result in a highly secure service. Here are the most important ones for you summed up:
- Data minimization. We respect and therefore, protect your privacy as you do not need to indicate a telephone number, your email address or any other sensitive data to our messaging service.
- Transport and end-to-end encryption are protecting your messages
- Servers: Our servers are all located in Germany and are therefore subject to the German data protection law. All messages and attachments are encrypted and only stored on our servers as long as their are in transmission. Afterwards, they are deleted immediately.
Will my contacts be scanned?
No! The app accesses your address book and your location data only to create encrypted attachment data and no information from your address book or location data is transferred to our servers in a form we can decipher.
Can I use my account on multiple devices?
Not yet, but we are working on it.
Can I migrate my account information between iOS and Android?
Yes! Here’s how it works:
Export account data
- First, open iTunes on your computer.
- Open our messaging app on your device and tap on your profile and “edit”.
- Scroll down and press “export credentials”. You will be asked to pick a strong password.
- Then connect the device to iTunes and go to the device page.
- Then select the Apps tab and scroll down to the file sharing section and select our messaging application. In the right hand list you will find the file credentials.json.
- Drag and drop it to the desktop.
- Now your log-in data is saved on your computer.
- To transfer your account information to a new/other device, you need to connect that new device to iTunes.
- Select the device and go to the Apps tab again.
- Select our messaging service in the file sharing section and drag credentials.json from the desktop to the right hand list.
- Now launch the messenger on your new device and go to your profile.
- Tab edit and press “import credentials” and enter the password you have chosen at the beginning of this process.
- Relaunch the app and enjoy.
Import account data
Export account data
- Open our messenger on your device and tap on settings and „export credentials“.
- You will be asked to pick a strong password and tab „OK“.
- Then connect the device to your computer or use a file manager app.
- You will find a file named „credentials.json“ in the root directory of your device.
- Copy that file to your computer or to another device.
- Now your log-in data is saved.
- To import your credentials to an other/new device, transfer those credentials to your new phone and make sure that it is located in the root directory.
- Start the app again and go to “settings” and tap “import credentials”.
- Enter now the password you have memorized beforehand and tap “OK”.
- Now the credentials will be loaded from the imported file and all your contacts will be synchronized.
- To be sure, please re-start the app and enjoy!
Import account data
Please note: You cannot run one account on multiple devices yet!
Is a desktop version planned?
A desktop client is planned in the long run. However, we are not able to communicate a release date just yet.
How long are files saved on the server?
We store messages as long as they are in transmission. Once a message reached the designated recipient, it is deleted immediately.
Webserver – Import and forward “other” files
Webserver (Attachment Access)
You can access and save all received attachments or import any file in order to forward it by using the web server feature.
- Access all received files
- Save received files on your computer
- Import any file regardless format or size
- Securely share .pdf, .ppp, .html and many more
How does it work?
- Open the app settings > Webserver (Attachment Access) > activate (slide control)
- Open a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) on your computer and insert the http:// address indicated in your App
- Fill in the indicated username as well as the named password in the dialogue window (Have a close look on punctuation!)
- Manage your files using the web interface
- All imported files will be visible under “media” on your phone. Click on “media” and “edit” to share any file with your contacts.
Please note, that it is not possible to import folders. Furthermore, you have to keep your app running in foreground in order to use the web server feature.
For security reason: Do not start the server when connected to an untrusted public WIFI-network.
Why not open source?
We regularly examine if and when it is making sense, to make our code public. At the moment, the disadvantages out roll the benefits:
- We as a small company have to compete with global businesses, which could copy our software and market it, without having invested in the technology. (This problem becomes smaller with a growing user base)
- We would not be able to offer our free and pseudonymous service without any
– User would run clients on their desktops and produce much higher data volumes
– We would be forced to increase our expenses to be able to exclude “Rogue Clients”
- We would be less flexible with regard to our development
- Our temporary development process is not that easy to be integrated in an open source structure and don’t to just dump source code to the Internet.
In contrast to those disadvantages for us, there would be a small user base that would benefit. Less than 1% of our users are able to run open source on their operating system. Plus a user could not be 100% sure, that the software running on the device matches the open source code, as you did not produce it yourself. For some users that might help but the majority of users would not profit from it.
Those are the reasons why we let our code be reviewed by independent experts. We are also willing to give qualified third parties insight into our code. In the long run, all these reasons why we do not publish our code today will become volatile.
Some features do not work on my Android phone. Why?
Our apps are programmed to comply with the latest state of the art. Many features are dependent on Android-Service-Apps and the latest Android software. To eliminate errors due to outdated applications and Android versions, your Android device should have all the latest software and Google-Service- updates installed.
„Nearby” does not work. / No GPS signal can be found. What to do?
- Please check if the location services are activated and available.
- Please update your Android system regularly, so that your device always runs on the latest firmware.
Can I secure my app with a passcode? What is a mugshot?
- Access control / Passcode request
- Touch-ID control (iOS user only)
- Mugshot (iOS user only)
Protect your app and all its contents with our access control feature:
- App settings > Access Control > Passcode timeout
Set the passcode timeout and enter a passcode. This passcode is now requested when opening the app.
Please note: Memorize your passcode well as it cannot be recovered. iOS users can also activate touch-id for access control (iPhone 5s, iPad air, iPad mini 3 or newer).
Mugshot (iOS only)
Besides the passcode protection, you are now able to activate the mugshot feature:
- App settings > Access Control > Enable Mugshot
When entering a wrong passcode a photo will be taken with the front camera. This photo is saved in your app under Media > Visual
(The mugshot is intently not saved to your phone’s library as an unauthorized user would have access and be able to delete it.)
When this feature is activate and no passcode is set, a mugshot is taken every time you open the app.
Which permissions are needed on Android and why?
To open the Google Maps view, it is necessary to have this permission. Google Maps is solely used to open a location attachment.
Contacts & Calendar
This permission is used to send an invitation via text message (SMS) or e-mail as well as v-card attachments. All data remains on your device and is not transferred to our servers.
Your location is needed only when using the „Nearby“- Mode or sending a location as attachment. Your data is of course end-to-end encrypted, also in nearby mode.
Photos / Media / Files
This permission is used to manage your message attachments (e.g. images, videos, audio). Furthermore the permission is required to access images for your personal avatar upload.
Camera / Microphone
Your camera is switched on in case you want to scan a QR code to pair with a friend or send an image attachment directly taken from the camera.
Wi-Fi connection information
This permission is used for communication via Wi-Fi or cellular networks. Moreover, it regulates up- and download limits in case the user has modified this setting.
To save and manage all sent and received attachments from our messaging app on a SD card.
Find accounts on device / read Google service configuration
This permission allows to send and display push notifications.
Used for incoming push notifications
Prevent phone from sleeping
Prevents the phone / tablet from sleeping when driven in nearby mode
How can I back up from iOS devices?
Making a backup is pretty useful from time to time. Your app’s credentials or messages and attachments are not automatically backed up and only saved on your phone’s or tablet’s memory. Learn how to save your account data here.
How can I back up from Android devices?
Making a backup is pretty useful from time to time. Your credentials or messages and attachments are not automatically backed up and only saved on your phone’s or tablet’s memory. Learn how to save your account data here.
Multiple text message invitations using Google Hangout
In case the recipient does not use “Hangout” the MMS setting for group chats needs to be deactivated. This can be done as follows:
- Group messages Google Hangouts – contextual menu / „people & options“
- Go to settings in the „people & options“ menu
- Choose SMS in settings
- Select „advanced“ and deactivate „Send MMS to group“
Now all invites will be send to a group via SMS and can also be opened and read by non-Google-Hangout users.
Our service is optimized for all Android versions starting at 4.0. „Rooted devices“ are not included. Please note, that our messenger could crash due to lacking permissions on rooted devices. Performance issues can also occur.
How to report crashes on Android?
Android user can send us feedback immediately, by allowing crash information to be sent. The HockeySDK for Android collects the following non-personal data:
- Package name, version code, and version name of your app.
- Device OEM, device type, and version of the operating system.
- Timestamp when the crash happened.
- Exception data like exception message, package, class, file names, and line numbers of the crashed thread
How can I delete my account for good?
To make our service running, we need to store some user information on our servers:
- a persistent random number representing your client id
- the chosen nicknames
- the chosen avatars
- relationship to other clients and group memberships
To delete these information for good, you need to delete it from our server. As a result, you will not appear in your friends’s contact list, will be deleted from your active groups and you won’t be able to login anymore. Deinstalling the application does not do the trick. So here is how it works:
Delete account from server
- Open your profile
- Edit profile
- Select “delete account from server” and confirm
Please note: Once you have deleted this information from our server, the account is deleted for good. No backup or credential import will restore this information. The server will refuse any login from an unknown user and that’s what you are once the account is deleted.
Can all files be sent safely?
We have no insight to contents that are sent with our app. We regard ourselves as a data transport service and offer users the freedom to transfer all non DRM-protected files safe and fast and without any restrictions of form or size. Needless to say, users have to note third-party rights to the shared files.